Glowing Embers Counselling
Where your spark becomes a flame
Registered Social Worker/Psychotherapist
To share a little bit about me…
I have been working with trauma survivors for over 15 years, in various fields, such as Corrections, Shelters, the Justice system, hospitals, and Family and Children’s Services. I have volunteered as a Spiritual Care Provider with Grand River Hospital and currently volunteer with Hospice and National Service Dogs
I am trained in the following modalities:
- Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT)
- Acceptance Compassion Therapy (ACT)
- Attachment Theory
I have extensive knowledge in:
- Mental Health
- Grief – Bereavement and Loss
I believe in the following:
- The client drives the session – I do not make an agenda. This time is yours to discuss or work on what you would like.
- I will be transparent with you – There are no secrets, and I don’t hide things.
- There needs to be a connection between you and the therapist. If you (or I) feel that there is no connection, I will work hard to find another therapist that meets your needs. Please do not feel that I am your only choice.
- I will meet you where you are – if you have addressed past issues with another therapist and feel they are resolved, then I do not need to know about them. Whatever is happening now or affecting you now, is what we will work on.
Reaching out is the most challenging part to ask for help. I would be honoured to walk beside you on your journey.
Intimate Partner Violence (IPV)
IPV is abuse or aggression that occurs in a close relationship. Fear and anxiety are two of the most common and uncomfortable emotions that we can experience. We will provide safety planning, emotional coping strategies, and support. We will encourage the motivation, perspective, and joy that you once had in your life.
Sexual Assault (SA)
SA is when a person intentionally sexually touches or physically forces themselves on another person without that person’s consent. We can help you overcome feelings of hopelessness, depression, and trust. We will accompany you on your journey to healing.
Mental Health (MH)
MH encompasses our emotional, psychological, and social well-being. MH affects how we think, feel, and act. We offer a supportive place to discuss challenges and solutions to better strengthen you.
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
PTSD can occur to anyone who has experienced or witnessed a traumatic event. We will assist you in calming the flashbacks, nightmares, and avoidance. We will provide a gentle presence on your journey to safety.
Grief and Loss
Loss starts to occur prior to our loved one passing away and the feeling we are left with when they are gone. Grieving is a natural, healthy response to loss and may include feelings such as shock, anger, resentment, sadness, guilt, relief, and despair.
We will work on strengthening the childhood attachment to a more meaningful adult attachment style. This will provide a more positive perspective and increase the self-esteem/self-confidence within you.
We acknowledge that the land on which we gather is located on the Haldimand Tract, land that was granted to the Haudenosaunee of the Six Nations of the Grand River and is within the territory of the Neutral, Anishinaabe, and Haudenosaunee peoples. We acknowledge the enduring presence of the Indigenous people with whom we share this land today, their achievements and their contributions to our community.